RECIPES Chicken Pot Pie Casserole, Tuna Noodle Casserole, Chicken Enchilada Casserole
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, carrots, pepper, and onion; cook and stir until tender.
3. Stir in flour until fully blended, then gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until thickened.
4. Stir in chicken, peas and salt; heat through. Transfer to a greased 11x7-inch baking dish. 5. For biscuit topping, in a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir just until moistened.
6. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 8–10 times. Pat or roll dough to ½ -inch thickness and cut with a floured 2.5-inch biscuit cutter. Place over chicken mixture.
7. Bake, uncovered, 15–20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
NOTE: Uncooked biscuits from the grocery store are a quick-fix option if there isn’t enough to make from scratch.