TIMELINE OF EVENTS
• Four boys, including Garrett Whittle and Matthew Williams, arrived at Georges River bridge to swim on the evening of June 23, 2016.
• The boys were jumping and doing flips off the bridge, landing in the water below
• Garrett had just finished jumping off the bridge and was swimming to the shoreline.
• Matthew followed him, doing a flip off the bridge, landing on his stomach. He went under water and never came back up.
• Garrett, a trained lifeguard, realized Matthew wasn’t coming back to the surface and went back into the water to save him.
• Garrett went under water, reaching his friend and dragging him back to the shore, saving his life.
• One of the friends at the location called 911 and Williams was transported to the Cape Breton Regional Hospital, where he stayed for two days with a concussion and water in his lungs.