UFC boss wants heavier fighter
White says Toronto card could mark last fight for Holloway as a featherweight
Whatever the outcome of Saturday’s UFC 231 main event between featherweight champion Max (Blessed) Holloway and challenger Brian (T-City) Ortega, UFC president Dana White says it could be Holloway’s last outing at 145 pounds.
White said the weight cut is too severe for the Hawaiian fighter, who has battled a variety of health issues this year around fight time.
“I didn’t want him to fight at 145 (pounds) again, I wanted him to fight at 155 (lightweight),” White said in an interview. “There’s a lot of risk - to him, to us, to everybody.”
But Holloway (19-3-0) wanted to face Ortega (14-0-0 with one no contest).
“I wanted him to move up to 155. I believe after this fight - win, lose or draw - he will,” said White.
“And I will be pushing him hard,” he added.
Holloway made weight Friday at 144.5 pounds, tweeting a photo of him on the scales with a finger to his lips as if silencing the doubters. Ortega was 144.75.
The champion had weighed 161 pounds on Monday, having no doubt already shed weight. Fighting at 155 would have been a breeze.
“You think these guys have to be tough to fight? You have to be tough to cut weight, man,” said White.
The two 145-pounders were originally slated to meet at UFC 226 in July, but Holloway was forced to withdraw at the last minute due to what was thought to be “concussion-like symptoms.”
Doctors have been unable to determine what the problem was.
“I’m pretty sure he did not have a concussion,” said White. “It had to be associated with weight cut.”
An ankle injury had forced Holloway (19-3-0) out of a March bout against former lightweight champion Frankie (The Answer) Edgar at UFC 222. Ortega filled in for Holloway, winning by spectacular first-round TKO.
Holloway also missed out on a short-notice fight with current lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 223 in April (after Tony Ferguson withdrew with a knee injury), pulling out during his weight cut.
At 27, Holloway is already a veteran of 18 UFC fights and has won his last 12 bouts since an August 2013 loss to Conor McGregor. A slick volume striker, he has averaged landing 6.2 significant strikes per minute over his UFC career, according to FightMetric.
The champion has not been taken down since a August 2014 win over Clay Collard, who landed one of 10 takedown attempts. Since then, Holloway has repelled all 27 takedowns attempted in his last nine bouts.
That has kept the fight on the feet where Holloway is able to control distance and then overwhelm his opponents. He is coming off back-to-back wins over iconic featherweight Jose Aldo, leaving the former champion dazed, bloodied and battered.
But Ortega, the No. 1 contender, is an accomplished black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu who does not need to get his opponent on the ground (his takedown accuracy is only 14 per cent). Cub Swanson learned that the hard way last December when he allowed Ortega to grab his neck in a standing clinch.
Ortega then jumped guard, launching his feet up to attach himself to Swanson like a pretzel in a guillotine choke, before using a foot to push off the fence and tighten his vise-like grip around Swanson’s neck to force the tap.
While seven of his 14 wins are by submission, Ortega is no onetrick pony.
He handed Edgar the first stoppage loss of his career with a wicked uppercut that actually lifted him off his feet.
The 27-year-old Ortega is also durable, with four third-round stoppages in the UFC.
UFC president Dana White, centre, watches as featherweight champion Max Holloway, left, and contender Brian Ortega face off at a press conference in Toronto on Wednesday.