Take good care of your HEART & BLOOD VESSELS
WHow to take care of your blood vessels
hen you have diabetes, you may not have the usual signs of a heart attack like chest pain or pressure. Symptoms could be extreme tiredness, feeling breathless, even sweating. Talk to your diabetes educator to learn more.
● Check your blood glucose and blood pressure often. Normal blood pressure should be around 130/80.
● Work with your physician or nurse practitioner to keep your blood glucose, blood pressure and cholesterol levels in a healthy range.
● Eat well-balanced meals and limit foods high in unhealthy fats.
● If you are on medication for blood pressure don’t miss a dose. ● Watch your salt intake.
● Watch your alcohol intake.
● If you smoke, stop. Your risk for heart and blood vessel disease is greater. Talk to your diabetes team about ways to help you stop, your heart will thank you.
● Make physical activity a part of your day.
● Work towards and keep a healthy weight. Losing five to 10 percent of your body weight can make a difference.