BEHIND THE ISSUE
1) JENNA HAZZARD opens up about her secret obsession with aquafit (and what she learned from her septuagenarian community-pool pals) in “Swimming Lessons” (page 66).What can you find the writer, who’s based in Waterloo, Ont., doing when she’s not poolside? “My ideal day would begin with sleeping in and waking up to find that none of the day has been wasted,” she says. “A fantasy, I know.”
2) Chilly upstate New York + 4 a.m. call time + long day on set = lots and lots of coffee, please and thank you. Despite the early hour, Gucci-clad model ALISA AHMANN still had a spring in her step for our “Puff Piece” shoot (page 78).
3) Why, yes, we will be channelling French-canadian model ANAÏS POULIOT—WHO stars in our exclusive Saint Laurent editorial (page 90) shot in Nyc—the next time we need to look fierce in a meeting.
4) Editor-in-chief VANESSA CRAFT was off to the races at the Hippodrome de Longchamp in Paris for the Hermès spring/summer 2019 show. For more about how fashion editors do Paris, head to page 99.
5) We’re setting up camp at Team YA with Toronto native SARAH SAHAGIAN, who proudly declares her love for young-adult fiction in “Forever Young” (page 62). But what is the quintessential YA novel? “Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume. It’s still the only book I’ve ever read that talks openly about periods.”