Summerside Western Capitals’ game day:
- The Caps host the Campbellton Tigers at Eastlink Arena on Saturday. Game time is 7 p.m.
- The Eastlink North Divisionleading Caps are 17-4-0 (won-lostovertime losses), and the Tigers entered Friday’s play at 13-7-3, five points behind Summerside.
- This will be only the second meeting of the season between the Caps and Tigers. Sullivan Sparkes scored at 3:33 of overtime to give the Caps a 2-1 win in Summerside on Nov. 10.
- Forward Ryan MacDonald, who was acquired from the St. Stephen Aces last week, is expected to make his Caps’ debut Saturday. He had 11 points in 18 regular-season games this year.
“He’s a 20-year-old guy and wanted to be a Summerside Western Capital for a while,” said Caps head coach Billy McGuigan. “He has family and friends around Prince Edward Island, and it’s a good fit for us. He’s an undersized forward who can really skate, he’s got some great speed, he puts up decent numbers and he’ll contribute to our penalty kill some and help our team.”
- McGuigan confirmed that fourthyear defenceman Jesse Annear is close to returning to the Caps after recovering from off-season surgery. “Jesse is tied up with school stuff right now doing exams, but he has been skating full-contact practices,” said McGuigan. “We are waiting for the day he is cleared to go, and we feel that could be any day.” - Saturday’s game will be the Caps’ final home contest until New Year’s Eve, when the Valley Wildcats (416-3) visit Summerside for a 5 p.m. start.
Brodie MacArthur of Summerside is in his third season with the Summerside Western Capitals of the MHL (Maritime Junior Hockey League).