Treaty No. 7 Site
A plaque on the Bow River in the Blackfoot First Nation community southeast of Calgary marks the spot where five First Nations made Treaty No. 7 in 1877. With settlers pushing into their land and the bison herds disappearing, the First Nations agreed to share 130,000 square kilometres of their ancestral lands. That’s about the size of the country of Greece. The area has been an important meeting place and campsite for First Nations people for thousands of years. It is now part of the Blackfoot Crossing National Historic Site of Canada.