BULLETIN BOARD SERVICE
The religious community’s bulletin board of activities appears each Saturday in The Herald.
• Six O’clock in the Chapel takes place Jan. 11 at 6 p.m. at Southminster United Church, offering a brief halfhour, reflective vesper service with beautiful music in the small and inviting Buchanan Chapel. Worship leader is Rev. Ruth Preston Schilk, who will present a special Praying for Peace theme. Everyone is welcome. Enter at the barrier-free 4 Avenue South chapel doors. • Southminster United Church offer monthly Labyrinth walks. Next session will take place Jan. 13 at 6:30 p.m., led by Veriditas-certified facilitator Nancy Fabro. Open to the public, by donation; enter through the west office doors at 1011 4 Ave. S. For more information, call the church office at 403-327-3404.
• All women are invited to a brunch Jan. 14 at 9:30 a.m. at Luigi’s in Taber, featuring Jolanda Molenaar presenting Home Hardware; guest soloist Angie Klemen; and speaker Elayne Goertzen with the topic “There may just be an obstacle in the way!” Cost $15. For reservations, call Linda at 403-879-2082 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Reservations and cancellations essential by noon Monday, Jan. 13. Presented by Taber Christian Women’s Connection, affiliated with RSVP
Ministries (www.RSVPministries.com). • “Water: From Science to the
Sacred” will take place Jan. 15 at 7 p.m. at McKillop United Church, 2329 15 Ave. S., featuring speakers Shannon Frank, Oldman Watershed Council, and Mike Bruised Head, Kainai Ecosystem Protection Agency. Frank will share her knowledge about watersheds in general and about the Oldman Watershed in which we live, while Bruised Head, a Kainai Elder and founder of KEPA, will speak about the sacredness of water from an Indigenous people’s perspective rooted in the Kainai traditions. • Book Study and Practice Going Deeper, With Tolle and Singer, will take place Tuesdays, Jan. 21-March 31 from 7-8:30 p.m. at Martha Retreat Centre (10 weeks; no class Feb. 25). For those who have studied “The Power of Now” or “A New Earth” by Eckhart Tolle and/or “The Untethered Soul” by Michael Singer, this class will focus on specific teachings from these spiritual masters, encouraging participants to look deeper into the meaning and the real-life application of the practices they offer. Please arrive early the first night to register. Facilitator: Cheryl Dick. Cost: $100 + cost of book ($20; please purchase in advance). For more information or to register, call the centre at 403-328- 3422 or email email@example.com.
• Oasis Day will take place Jan. 23,9 a.m.-4 p.m. at Martha Retreat Centre, 1130 Scenic Drive S. Come and enjoy a time to be, a time to pray, a time to rest! A time to be with your God. Facilitators: Pat Boehm and Ellen Wagner. Cost 50 (accommodation/lunch included). For more information or to register, call the centre at 403-328- 3422 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Moment by Moment will be offered Jan. 25, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. This annual favourite is a one-day silent retreat that gives participants a time to step away from the regular pace of life and practise present-moment awareness. Facilitator Cheryl Dick will provide pointers on opening to the beauty and peace that is with us in each moment of our lives through reducing the unnecessary chatter in our minds and opening to our natural inspiration. Please arrive early to register and bring a floor mat and blanket. Cost:$75 (lunch included). For more information or to register, call the centre at 403-3283422 or email email@example.com. • Silent Directed Retreat will take place Feb. 7, 7 p.m. to Feb. 9, 1:00 p.m. at Martha Retreat Centre, 1130 Scenic Drive S. This weekend retreat is open to all who desire to come to a quiet space where you can be honest and accepted as you are. Even though you are with others, the weekend allows you an opportunity to find refuge in the silence of being attentive to God. On this journey, you are accompanied by a trained spiritual director who listens with you for God’s movement in your life. Facilitators: Lethbridge spiritual directors. Cost: $180 (accommodation/meals included). For more information or to register, call the centre at 403-328- 3422 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. • “You’re Stronger Than You Think: Renew your mind, renew your life” will be offered Feb. 15 from 1-5 p.m. at Martha Retreat Centre, 1130 Scenic Drive S. In Romans 12:2 St. Paul tells us we can be “transformed by the renewal of your mind.” Harley Packer shares the valuable faith-filled insights he has employed to overcome destructive thinking and behaviour and rise to a new level of freedom and happiness. Harley will stir your imagination with a fresh and intuitive look at the beautiful, timeless truths of the faith that are designed to liberate our minds from the grip of negative thinking, debilitating anxiety and fear. The afternoon will include time for reflection and discussion. Cost: $40. For more information or to register, call the centre at 403-328- 3422 or email email@example.com.
• Personal Prayer — Anyone wishing space for quiet personal prayer is invited to come to the Martha Retreat Centre
Monday through Thursday between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. and Fridays, 9 a.m.-noon.
• Centering Prayer takes place Tuesdays from 1:30-2:40 p.m. at Martha Retreat Centre. Facilitator: Pat Boehm. For more information, call the centre at 403-328- 3422 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. • Men young and older alike are asked to come and join the Lethbridge Christian Men’s Choir for evenings of singing. Practices are held every
Thursday from 7:30-9 p.m. at Trinity Reformed Church, 1100 40 Ave. N. The choir practises for Christmas and spring concerts each year, and also occasionally sings at the hospital and seniors homes. For more information, call 403-3287985. • Celebrate Recovery — a Christ-centred recovery program for any hurt, hang-up and habit, meets Friday nights at Park Meadows Baptist Church, 2011 15 Ave. N. 6 p.m. - supper ($3); 7 p.m. - large group; 8 p.m. - open share small groups; 9 p.m. - Solid Rock Cafe. email email@example.com for more information or visit http://celebraterecovery.ca/wp/. • An interfaith devotional gathering is
held Sundays from 1-3 p.m. at the Baha’i Information Centre, #2, 310 12 St. S. Includes prayers and readings from various faiths followed by discussion. Everyone is welcome. Details: 403-394-8888.
• The Missions Thrift Store, now located at 3001 32 St. S., is open
Monday-Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Profits go toward mission work and Bibles for people in China and other Asian countries. Phone 403-327-3199.
• The MCC Thrift Shop, located at 1117 2 Ave. “A” N., supports poverty reduction projects around the world through Mennonite Central Committee. The shop is open Monday to Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sales of the week: Monday - electronics; Tuesday - books; Wednesday - dishes; Thursday - furniture; Friday - pictures; Saturday - clothing. There will be 50 per cent off on the last business day and second Saturday of each month. For more information, call 403329-4808. Online: www.facebook.com/mccthrift/lethbridge or thrift.mcc.org/lethbridge-mccthrift-shop/home. • The Coaldale United Church Thrift Shop (2022 18 St.) is open Thursdays
from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. and the first Wednesday from 4-8 p.m. Clothing and household miscellaneous at very reasonable prices. Cash only. Send Faith Today items to Dave Sulz, The Herald, Box 670, Lethbridge, T1J 3Z7; fax 403-328-4536; or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.