TOASTED BUCKWHEAT KASHA
Prep: 5 minutes plus resting time Cook: 25 minutes
Make Ahead: Toasted kasha will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.
❚ 1/2 cup (80 g) buckwheat kasha ❚ 1/3 cup (80 mL) boiling water ❚ 2 tbsp (30 mL) pure maple syrup
1. Rinse the kasha in a fine-mesh sieve under cool running water until the water rinses clear. Place it in a heatproof bowl and pour the boiling water overtop. Immediately cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit until the water has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.
2. Rinse the kasha again in a finemesh sieve under cool running water, set the sieve over a bowl and let the kasha sit to dry, fluffing it occasionally with a fork, about 20 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
4. Toss the dry kasha with the maple syrup and spread it in an even layer on the baking tray. Bake for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it is a rich golden brown.
5. Remove from the oven and let cool on the tray. Crumble the grains and transfer them to an airtight container until ready to use.
Makes about: 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)