Woman assaulted, threatened with firearm
Husband jailed 30 months in attack
a man who threatened his wife with a loaded firearm in front of their children was sentenced this week to 30 months in penitentiary.
the 35-year-old man pleaded guilty in ontario Court of Justice to one count each of assault and using a firearm to commit an indictable offence.
a publication ban was imposed to protect the identities of the victims.
Court was told that on July 12 the man had been consuming alcohol at his residence and went outside to continue drinking and playing loud music.
his wife went outside at about 9 p.m. to ask him to turn the music down and the man pushed her to the ground and struck and kicked her.
a young son was with her at the time of the attack.
the victim went inside and told her mother, who was visiting, to call police, but the man went into the residence and went to the bedroom where he got a firearm and loaded it.
he went into the kitchen where his wife and others were and threatened to kill her.
the women and their children escaped to a neighbour’s house where police were called.
the man was taken to the north Bay regional health Centre where he left and was later arrested.
a north Bay police officer was assaulted during that arrest, court was told.
“he apologizes from the bottom of his heart to his family,” defence counsel geoff Laplante told court, but “the people he wants to apologize to the most are not here – his children.”
the children, Laplante said, “didn’t deserve to have this happen to them.”
Laplante said it was “a case of good fortune . . . that no one was killed,” stressing that firearms and alcohol don’t mix.
the man, he said, not only was intoxicated but suffers from persistent mental illness, including depression and bipolar disorder.
Crownattorneycolinmcmorrow noted that the man has, since the offence, taken steps to make amends to his children.
“this could have turned out totally different,” Justice Catherine Mathias Mcdonald observed.
“this is something you read about every day. it’s frightening.
“this could have been a lot worse,” Mathias Mcdonald said.
Mathias Mcdonald accepted a joint submission from Crown and defence for a 30-month custodial term.
the weapon and ammunition used in the incident were seized and he is prohibited from possession weapons for 10 years.
he also was ordered to provide a dna sample.