6 factors that may cost you the job
1. Being unprepared for the interview. Prepare, plan and practise! In today's tough job market, you MUST do everything you can to give yourself an edge. Preparation is the key.
2. Not being able to communicate clearly and effectively. Being nervous can really mess up your communication skills. Being well prepared and practising what you're going to say are always your best bet.
3. Being aggressive, arrogant or acting in a superior way. No one wants to hire or work with people who think they're better than everyone else.
4. Making excuses for failings. Your teacher never bought “The dog ate my homework!” and your boss isn't going to buy “The finance department gave me the wrong figures!” In the grown-up world, you have to take responsibility for what you are responsible for! You'll never earn respect by blaming others when things go wrong.
5. Saying unfavourable things about previous employers. Even if you left a job because the boss was an egomaniac, don't ever say anything bad about him or her during an interview.
6. Having a poor/limp handshake. Why do people think you'll be a lousy employee if you have a lousy handshake? That's not really logical, is it? Doesn't matter. It just turns people off and gives them a bad impression of you. So make your handshake firm and confident but not bone-crushing!