Ottawa Citizen

UEFA lifts bar on Porto

SOCCER

-

European football’s ruling body UEFA has overturned their decision to ban former European champions FC Porto from next season’s Champions League, according to an official from the Portuguese club. UEFA last week barred the reigning Portuguese champions from competing in next season’s lucrative competitio­n after they were recently found guilty of a match-fixing scandal, relating to events during the 2004 season. However after a meeting with UEFA top brass, FC Porto delegate Adelino Caldeira yesterday told Portuguese television: ‘‘The decision from June 4 has been overturned.’’ UEFA said that in the light of ‘‘new evidence’’ being provided by the club, they had decided to defer the case, although UEFA said a final decision would be made at a later date.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada