Ottawa Citizen

Man’s hands burned in mat­tress fire

-

A mat­tress fire left an Ot­tawa man in­jured and out of his home on Wed­nes­day evening. The fire at a 30-unit build­ing at 303 King Ed­ward Ave. be­gan about 6:20 p.m. Fire­fight­ers, re­spond­ing to calls about au­di­ble alarms and vis­i­ble smoke, ar­rived to find the mat­tress on fire in a base­ment unit. While they were able to get the fire un­der con­trol in less than half an hour, the res­i­dent of the base­ment unit, a man in his 40s, was taken to hospi­tal for burns to his hands, paramedics said. An OC Transpo bus was on scene to shel­ter the build­ing’s res­i­dents. Other than the in­jured man, they were all able to re­turn to their apart­ments. Dam­age is es­ti­mated at $60,000.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada