Po­lice watched men en­ter car used in killing

Surveil­lance team got tip from ma­jor crimes of­fi­cer

Ottawa Citizen - - CITY - MEGHAN HUR­LEY mhur­ley@ot­tawac­i­t­i­zen.com twit­ter.com/meghan_hur­ley

An Ot­tawa po­lice surveil­lance team watched as two men ap­peared to clean out a car used dur­ing a 2010 shoot­ing that killed a 16-year-old be­fore mov­ing in to ar­rest them, an Ot­tawa court heard Tues­day.

The surveil­lance team had been search­ing for the car used in the Dec. 6, 2010, killing of Yaz­dan Ghi­as­vand Ghi­asi, court heard Tues­day at the man­slaugh­ter trial for Ab­dul­hamid We­hbe.

At 8:10 p.m. on Dec. 6, the surveil­lance team learned from Sgt. Mike Hud­son of the Ot­tawa po­lice ma­jor crime unit that the car might be parked in a lot out­side an apart­ment build­ing at 1170 Fisher Ave.

A minute later, Det. Keith Theobald spot­ted the blue Nis­san Max­ima in the north park­ing lot of the apart­ment build­ing, he tes­ti­fied.

He had al­ready been search­ing for the car near Fisher Av­enue.

Theobald told court he got out of his ve­hi­cle and looked at the Max­ima. He saw wa­ter pel­lets that had frozen on the bumper and saw that the glass on the sun­roof had been smashed, Theobald told court.

Af­ter no­ti­fy­ing his team that he had found the car, they set up surveil­lance to watch for any ac­tiv­ity at the ve­hi­cle.

At 2:20 a.m., a dark-coloured Mazda pulled up in front of the Max­ima, court heard.

A man wear­ing a hoodie got out of the Mazda and joined a man who had been walk­ing his dog on the grounds of the apart­ment build­ing, court heard.

Det. Alex Kay, an­other member of the Ot­tawa po­lice surveil­lance team, tes­ti­fied Tues­day that he saw the man with the dog get into the driver’s seat of the Max­ima.

The other man went to and from the Mazda several times be­fore get­ting into the back of the Max­ima with a white rag and a plas­tic bag, court heard. Kay tes­ti­fied that the men ap­peared to be clean­ing the in­side of the car.

At 2:23 a.m., the surveil­lance team was in­structed by Hud­son to ar­rest the men. The surveil­lance team boxed in the two cars with their ve­hi­cles to pre­vent them from driv­ing away, court heard.

Det. Rob Hous­ton, the surveil­lance team “road boss” that night, tes­ti­fied Tues­day he was clos­est to the man in the back seat of the Max­ima when he ap­proached the two cars.

Hous­ton or­dered the man, who was later iden­ti­fied as Khaled We­hbe, to come out with his hands up.

The other man in the car was arrested and told Theobald his name was Zakaria Dourhnou, but he didn’t have iden­ti­fi­ca­tion with him.

Dourhnou and We­hbe both later pleaded guilty to at­tempt­ing to ob­struct jus­tice for clean­ing out the car. Dourhnou also pleaded guilty to breach of pro­ba­tion.

An ar­rest war­rant was is­sued for the al­leged shooter in the Ghi­asi homi­cide, Mo­hamed We­hbe, but it is be­lieved he has fled the coun­try.

The trial con­tin­ues Wed­nes­day.


Ab­dul­hamid We­hbe, left, is charged with man­slaugh­ter in the 2010 shoot­ing death of 16-year-old Yaz­dan Ghi­as­vand Ghi­asi. Khaled We­hbe, mid­dle, and Zakaria Dourhnou have both pleaded guilty to at­tempt­ing to ob­struct jus­tice.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.