APPLE AND WALNUT SALAD
Serves: 8 3 Belgian endives, separated into leaves
1 head blond frisée lettuce, separated into leaves
1 head radicchio, leaves torn from ribs and thinly sliced 1 bunch watercress, trimmed 1 cup (250 mL) chopped walnuts 1/4 cup (60 mL) dried cranberries
2 medium Empire or Northern Spy apples, cored and cut into thin wedges
3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour 4 oz (115 g) brie, cut into eight 1/2-inch (1-cm) slices
1/3 cup (80 mL) house vinaigrette (recipe follows) Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1. In a large salad bowl, combine the endives, frisée, radicchio, watercress, walnuts, cranberries and apples; toss gently.
2. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Place the flour on a plate and firmly press both sides of the brie slices in the flour until well-coated. Shake off excess flour.
3. Reduce the heat to mediumlow and carefully add the brie slices. Cook for 1 minute on each side. Remove the brie from the pan and drain on paper towel.
4. Add the vinaigrette to the salad, toss well and season with salt and pepper. Divide the salad among plates and top each serving with a slice of fried brie.
HOUSE VINAIGRETTE Makes: 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped red onion
2/3 cup (160 mL) olive oil
1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
1/4 cup (60 mL) unseasoned rice vinegar
1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) grainy Dijon mustard
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1. In a blender, combine the onion, olive oil, canola oil, rice vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper to taste. Blend until creamy, about 1 minute.
2. Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to 5 days.