2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
2/3 cup (160 mL) water
1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1 cup (250 mL) diced cooked turkey
1 cup (250 mL) mashed
1/4 cup (60 mL) frozen green
1/4 cup (60 mL) raisins, chopped
1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted cashews, chopped
2 Thai green chili peppers, halved, seeded and finely chopped
1 tsp (5 mL) basil, crumbled
1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) finely chopped fresh ginger
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) garam masala
1 large egg
1 tsp (5 mL) water
1. Combine flour, 2/3 cup (160 mL) water, oil, thyme and salt in a bowl.
2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough until smooth, about 6-8 minutes. Shape dough into a ball. Wrap ball with plastic wrap and let stand for 15 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 450 F (230 C).
4. Combine turkey, potatoes, peas, raisins, cashews, chili peppers, basil, coriander, salt, cayenne pepper, ginger and garam masala in a bowl; set aside.
5. Unwrap and transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 24 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball into a circle about 4 inches (10 cm) in diameter.
7. Whisk together egg and 1 tsp (5 mL) water until blended.
8. Place about 1 1/2 tbsp (22.5 mL) of filling on centre of each circle. Brush border with egg mixture. Pull two-thirds of circle edges together over filling. Pull up remaining third and pinch edges of circle together to seal while gently squeezing out air.
9. Repeat procedure with remaining dough, filling and egg mixture.
10. Samosas may be prepared to this point and cooked or frozen. If freezing, place samosas in a single layer on a tray; cover and freeze. Once frozen, transfer samosas to airtight containers and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw before baking.
11. Place samosas in an ungreased large rimmed baking sheet. Brush samosas in pan with egg mixture.
12. Bake until golden brown and heated through, about 15-18 minutes. Serve immediately with mango chutney.