STIR-FRIED ROASTED EGGPLANT WITH PORK
6 tbsp (90 mL) olive oil
2 tsp (10 mL) kosher or coarse salt
3 1/2 lbs (1.6 kg) eggplant (about 2 large), in 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubes
2 tbsp (30 mL) canola or other neutral-tasting oil
1 lb (454 g) ground pork
1/4 cup (60 mL) peeled, minced or grated fresh ginger root
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) red pepper flakes
1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
1/4 cup (60 mL) chicken stock or water
1. Place a rack in the centre of the oven and a second rack in the top third, and preheat to 425 F (220 C).
2. Drizzle two sheet pans with the olive oil and sprinkle each pan with 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt. Spread cubed eggplant in a single layer on the two pans, using your hands to mix ingredients together.
3. Roast uncovered in preheated oven, stirring twice and switching pans between the upper and lower racks, until eggplant is softened and browned, about 35 minutes. Set eggplant aside.
4. Place a large, heavy frying pan over high heat and heat canola oil. When the oil is hot, crumble the pork into the pan and sprinkle it with the remaining
1 tsp (5 mL) salt. Cook pork, stirring occasionally, until it loses its pink colour, releases liquid and begins to brown, about five minutes.
5. Add ginger and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until the liquid has evaporated and the pork is browned and a little bit crisp, about five more minutes.
6. Add roasted eggplant and drizzle with the soy sauce and chicken stock. Cook, stirring, just until everything is nicely combined and most of the liquid has evaporated, about two minutes. Serve at once.