QUICK CHEESE BREAD
3 oz (86 g) Parmesan cheese, grated on large holes of box grater (1 cup/250 mL)
2 1/2 cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) cayenne pepper 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) pepper
4 oz (114 g) extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2-inch (1.25-cm) cubes (1 cup/250 mL) 1 cup (250 mL) whole milk 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream 3 tbsp (45 mL) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 F (175 C). Spray 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch (21-by-11-cm) loaf pan with vegetable oil spray, then sprinkle 1/2 cup (125 mL) Parmesan evenly in bottom of pan.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne and pepper to combine. Using rubber spatula, mix in cheddar, breaking up clumps, until cheese is coated with flour.
3. In medium bowl, whisk together milk, sour cream, melted butter and egg.
4. Using rubber spatula, gently fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined ( batter will be heavy and thick; do not overmix).
5. Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan; spread to sides of pan and level surface with rubber spatula. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup (125 mL) Parmesan evenly over surface.
6. Bake until loaf is a deep golden brown and toothpick inserted in centre of loaf comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking.
7. Let cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes, then invert loaf onto wire rack. Turn right side up and let cool until warm, about 45 minutes. Serve.
8. To freeze, wrap cooled loaf tightly with double layer of aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 F (190 C). Bake wrapped loaf until it yields under gentle pressure, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until exterior is crisp, about 5 minutes longer. Let loaf cool on wire rack for 15 minutes.