Cool things to do in Penticton and area
Friday, December 7 • SOAP Players present, “It’s A Wonderful Life,” a live radio play, 7:30 p.m. at Frank Venables Theatre in Oliver, for tickets visit: venablestheatre.ca
• Friday Night Live open mic event at Medici’s in Oliver, 7 p.m.
• Lunch, 65 and better, every Friday, call 250493-1481 for more information, 11:30 a.m.
• Lynne Wilkes Kinsey’s new show, Wild and Country, on at the Front Street Gallery through Dec. 21
• Fraternal order of the Eagles in Penticton has live music by Rob ‘N Walker at 7 p.m.
• St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Christmas dinner, 5:30 p.m., for tickets call the church office at 250-492-8304 or Fraser MacDonald at 250487-4350
• Bob Kittle, Ch.t, offers hypnosis relaxation sessions at South Main Seniors’ Drop-In Centre, all welcome, 11:45 a.m. and/or 2:30 p.m. every Friday
• Penticton Elks Lodge presents Dance Penticton at 7 p.m.
• Now playing at Landmark Cinemas 7: Johnny English Strikes Again (PG, 88 minutes); Creed 2 (PG, 130 minutes); Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (PG, 134 minutes); Robin Hood (PG, 117 minutes); Ralph Breaks the Internet (PG, 114 minutes, PG); Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch (PG, 86 minutes); Bohemian Rhapsody (PG, 135 minutes)
• KIJHL Junior-B hockey, Chase Heat at Summerland Steam, 7:30 p.m., Summerland Arena
• Penticton Minor Hockey Association bantam tier 2 hockey tournament,today to Sunday, starts today, 4:45 p.m., with championship game on Sunday, 1:15 p.m. at Memorial Arena
• Now playing at the Oliver Theatre: Bohemian Rhapsody (PG, 135 minutes), Instant Family (PG13, 118 minutes)
Saturday, December 8 • SOAP Players present, “It’s A Wonderful Life,” a live radio play, 7:30 p.m. at Frank Venables Theatre in Oliver, for tickets visit: venablestheatre.ca
• Norm Strauss Band performs at The Dream Café, tickets $16, $26, 8 p.m.
• 14th annual From our Hearts gospel music Christmas concert, Adventist church, 290 Warren Ave. W., by donation, 7 p.m.
• SOAP Players present, “It’s A Wonderful Life,” a live radio play, 2 p.m. at Frank Venables Theatre in Oliver, for tickets visit: venablestheatre.ca
• BCHL Junior-A hockey, Wenatchee Wild at Penticton Vees, 6 p.m., South Okanagan Events Centre (annual Teddy Bear Toss Night)
• KIJHL Junior-B hockey, North Okanagan Knights at Summerland Steam, 7:30 p.m., Summerland Arena
Sunday, December 9 • Greek Orthodox Church of Penticton hosts its annual Christmas Greek bake sale, 1265 Fairview Rd., 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., or while supplies last, for large orders and pick-up, call Barbara Vassilaki at 250-770-2337
• Justin Koshman performs at The Cannery Brewing Co., 6 - 8 p.m., no cover charge
• Penticton Elks Lodge has Sports Sunday and crib starting at 10:30 a.m., dog races, food draw, last man standing, 2 p.m., pool and darts available
• Royal Canadian Legion Penticton Ladies Auxiliary Lunch Bunch hosts a pancake breakfast, $5, 8:30 a.m. to noon
Monday, December 10 • Fitness Friends at Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 40 hall, 10 a.m., presented by ladies auxiliary
• Penticton Elks Lodge has crib at 10 a.m., early bird meat draws at 4 and 4:30 p.m., dinner at 5:30 followed by music from Rob ‘N Walker
• 16th annual Cookie Walk, Bake Sale and Kind Lady Lives Here Bazaar, with all kinds of baking and gifts, presented by Animal Lifeline Emergency Response Team, at Windward Software, 3547 Skaha Lake Rd, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 40, special meeting of membership, 7 p.m., to discuss possible move to 257 Brunswick Street
• Penticton Elks Lodge has single cribbage at 7 p.m.
Tuesday, December 11 • A Louisiana Hayride Christmas, starring Andrea Anderson, Gil Risling, Derek Pullam, William Brookfield, Lori Risling and special guest star Adam Fitzpatrick as Elvis Presley, 7:30 p.m., The Cleland Theatre, $45, visit www.ticketseller.ca or call 1-866-311-1011
• Social bridge at St. Stephen Parish Hall in Summerland, $4 includes refreshments, 1-4 p.m.
• Penticton Elks Lodge has single crib, fun darts at 7 p.m.
Wednesday, December 12 • English boogie piano sensation Ben Waters performs at The Dream Café, tickets $33 and $43, 8 p.m., first of four nights
• Justin Koshman performs at The Cannery Brewing Co., 7 - 9 p.m., by donation
• South Okanagan Big Band performs a Christmas jazz concert at Summerland Drop In, 9710 Brown St., admission by donation, 7 p.m.
• Summerland Drop In hosts its annual Christmas banquet, catered by Audie Yastremski and with musical entertainment, tickets $15 for members, $20 for non-members, call 250-4949377
• Texas Hold’Em Charity Poker Tournament, hosted by Penticton Lions at Copper Mug Pub, $60 buy-in, $1,000 prize pool based on 26 players, 6 p.m.
Thursday, December 13 • Drop-in hockey for ages 55-plus, CSA-approved helmet required, full gear optional, McLaren Arena, $5, noon to 1 p.m.
• English boogie piano sensation Ben Waters performs at The Dream Café, tickets $33 and $43, 8 p.m.
• Fitness Friends at Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 40 hall, 10 a.m., presented by ladies auxiliary