Kiwanis Club of Swift Current serves the community in many ways
The Kiwanis Club of Swift Current recently held its Annual General Meeting where Committees reported activities to date.
Because of tremendous community support for fundraisers such as Apple and Christmas Tree sales, the annual golf tournament, and the Lobersterfest project undertaken jointly with the Rotary Club, Kiwanis is able to provide assistance for many local initiatives.
One of the major Kiwanis committees, the Community Services Committee, co-chaired by Peggy Drinkle and Stew Tasche, reported the following activities:
1. Fall/Spring Highway Cleanup;
2. Support for the Kiwanis Caring Clowns;
3. Purchasing and laying of Remembrance Day Wreath;
4. Staffing of the Salvation Army Christmas Kettles
5. Meals on Wheels – February, 2019 (Also some Kiwanians volunteered all year.);
6. Staffing & financially supporting the Blood Donor Clinic;
7. Joint sponsorship of Advent and Lenten Ecumenical Services with the Swift Current Ministerial Association;
8. Kiwanis Furnishings Project at the Meadows– financial support of $5,000.;
9. Setting up an informational Kiwanis booth at the Charity Expo;
10. Several club members volunteered at Hockey Day in Canada events in February 2019;
11. Members are also volunteering for the Western Canada Summer Games in August 2019;
12. Duck Derby – conduct of the Derby, a fundraiser for Southwest Crisis Services, in addition to ticket sales prior to the event;
13. Parade Float – Ag & Exhibition Parade ;
14. Swift Current 57’s Baseball – volunteering at home games;
Local Kiwanians are proud of the benefits their service continues to provide for the Swift Current community.