Loblaw Companies National Holiday Food Drive will benefit southwest food banks
This holiday season our local Loblaw stores, Real Canadian Superstore, Troy’s No Frills, Simon’s No Frills, and Real Canadian Wholesale Club will kick off the Loblaw Companies National Holiday Food Drive which runs from now until Dec. 24, to support food banks across the country.
To help address the need for donations, our local Loblaw stores are calling on the Lethbridge community to donate nonperishable food items and funds at checkout.
According to partner food banks, Interfaith Food Bank and Lethbridge Food Bank, an estimated 3000-3400 residents, 42 per cent of them children, rely on a food bank in an average month in Lethbridge and area.
“Hunger is a year round reality for far too many families,” says Danielle McIntyre of Interfaith Food Bank.
“The Loblaw Companies National Holiday Food Drive helps us replenish our stock and fight hunger in our community. Adding just one item to the food donation bin or a few extra dollars to your grocery bill makes a big difference to local families in need.”
What should customers add to their shopping list?
According to Maral Kiani Tari of Lethbridge Food Bank, the most needed non-perishable items include peanut butter, baby food, canned fruits and vegetables, canned fish or meat and beans.
Other needed items include pasta and sauce, rice, whole grain cereals and other dry foods.
One hundred per cent of food donations and 85 per cent of cash donations will go directly to our local food banks, while the remaining 15 per cent of donated cash will support provincial food bank programs. Loblaw grocery stores have a long history of supporting food banks in their local communities, and encourage citizens to contribute to the national food drive to benefit local and provincial food bank programs.