Toronto, birth­place of the Crispy Crunch

Richmond Hill Post - - Classified­s -

Rock­ets, which are called Smar­ties south of the bor­der, are still pro­duced in New­mar­ket, but back in 1963 they were man­u­fac­tured en masse from the Ce De Candy lo­ca­tion, founded by Ed­ward Dee, on Queen Street West, now home to the Candy Fac­tory Lofts.

On nearby Glad­stone Av­enue, Cad­bury, a Bri­tish company, has been pro­duc­ing de­li­cious choco­late bars and as­sorted bites of good­ness since 1904 and has long been a favourite stopover for munchkins out trick-or-treat­ing in the area. Although the company op­er­ates in many coun­tries around the world, T.O. is no­table as the birth­place of the Crispy Crunch in 1930, as the re­sult of an em­ployee com­pe­ti­tion.

But they aren’t the only cho­co­latiers with a rich his­tory in Toronto. In 1913, the first Laura Secord candy shop opened up on Yonge Street. The shop was founded by Toronto’s Frank O’Con­nor.

The Kerr’s Bros. Ltd. candy company was founded in 1895 in St. Thomas, Ont., but moved to Toronto in 1904. Kerr’s is well-known for its cel­lo­phane-wrapped hard can­dies but is also rather (in)fa­mous for its tooth-pulling mo­lasses taffy can­dies that are ubiq­ui­tous around Hal­loween, de­spite the protes­ta­tions of many in the den­tal com­mu­nity. Ahem.

Maybe par­ents should stop sweat­ing the candy splurge this month and turn it into a his­tory les­son. Kids love his­tory!

Laura Secord started small in Toronto but now has more than 100 re­tail out­lets across the coun­try

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.