Third death confirmed from tainted spinach
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) —An elderly Nebraska woman who died in late August was infected with E. coli after eating fresh spinach, bringing to three the number of people who have perished in a North American outbreak of the bacteria, health officials said Friday.
The 84-year-old woman ate spinach contaminated with the same strain of E. coli that has sickened at least 190 other people across the United States and Canada, state health officials and her family’s lawyer said.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the woman’s death was linked to the outbreak.
Last week, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration lifted a two-week consumer warning on fresh spinach. On Wednesday, the FBI searched two California produce companies for evidence of possible environmental-law violations.