Parks named after councillors
The City of Saskatoon is poised to name 11 parks after former city councillors, some of whom served for less than two years.
Glen Penner, who was first elected in 1972 and retired in 2012 after serving 26 years on council, is set to have a park named after him in the Rosewood neighbourhood.
Two parks in Hampton Village are slated to be named after former councillors — C. Jack MacKenzie (1929-30) and Paul Mostoway (1988-94) — as are eight parks in Kensington: George S. Alexander (1908-09), Henry Baker (1905-06), Jeffrey J. Charlebois (1965-66), George H. Clare (1907-08, 1911-14), Peter H. Currie (1906-07), Bev M. Dyck (1985-94), Ed Jordan (1907-08) and Andrew MacDougall (1912-14).
Richards Park in Kensington is intended to honour three people: ■ Former Saskatoon city manager Phil Richards, who worked for the city for 32 years; ■ Prof. John Richards, a Second World War veteran who founded the geography department at the University of Saskatchewan and co- authored the Atlas of Saskatchewan; ■ Mary- Ellen Richards, who was active in women’s rights, children’s rights and elderly rights, and who was named Saskatoon’s citizen of the year in 1978.
The names are assigned by Mayor Don Atchison from a master list compiled by the city’s naming advisory committee.