Miss­ing U of R stu­dent’s dad look­ing for an­swers

Saskatoon StarPhoenix - - FRONT PAGE - MARK MELNYCHUK mmel­ny­[email protected]­media.com

REGINA David Chuk­wudum crossed an ocean to find out what hap­pened to his son.

Chuk­wudum, the fa­ther of Prom­ise “Max” Chuk­wudum, a 19-yearold Univer­sity of Regina stu­dent who has been miss­ing since Nov. 17, re­cently trav­elled from La­gos, Nige­ria, to Regina.

“It’s strange to me that my son is miss­ing. I couldn’t be­lieve it in Nige­ria, but com­ing here I see it’s re­al­ity,” David said dur­ing an in­ter­view at the U of R’s cam­pus on Thurs­day.

On Nov. 14, days be­fore Prom­ise went miss­ing, David spoke to him on video chat while he was vis­it­ing China for busi­ness. David could see Prom­ise’s hair was start­ing to get long, and told him he should cut it so it would look nice. He started call­ing Prom­ise again when he re­turned to Nige­ria on Nov. 18 to see if he got his hair cut, but Prom­ise never re­turned his calls.

David told Prom­ise’s sis­ter, Chi­naza, a stu­dent at the Univer­sity of Saskatchewan, to call her brother, but she didn’t get an an­swer, ei­ther. Once David fi­nally heard his son was miss­ing, he still had to call the Regina Po­lice Ser­vice (RPS) from Nige­ria to con­firm the shock­ing news.

“I couldn’t be­lieve it,” said David.

Com­ing to Regina from Africa is a long jour­ney. David first had to fly to Ad­dis Ababa, Ethiopia’s cap­i­tal city. From there, he flew to Toronto and then to Cal­gary be­fore fi­nally ar­riv­ing in Regina on Nov. 30. David said he had to make the trip so he could know what hap­pened to Prom­ise.

Ac­cord­ing to the RPS, Prom­ise was last seen near Mar­shall Cres­cent in the Nor­man­view area in the early morn­ing hours of Nov. 17. Po­lice have searched sev­eral parts of the city, in­clud­ing the land­fill out­side Regina. They are still in­ves­ti­gat­ing his dis­ap­pear­ance.

The U of R has been pro­vid­ing Chi­naza and David with ac­com­mo­da­tions, food and coun­selling ser­vices dur­ing their stay in Regina. They’ve spo­ken with po­lice al­most ev­ery day, but so far there have been no de­vel­op­ments. Chi­naza said po­lice told her they can’t share ev­ery de­tail with them be­cause it could com­pro­mise the in­ves­ti­ga­tion.

Af­ter Prom­ise fin­ished sec­ondary school in Nige­ria, he told his fa­ther that he wanted to fol­low his older sis­ter’s foot­steps and come to Canada to study. Prom­ise was in his sec­ond year of com­puter sci­ence at the U of R, and also played for the univer­sity’s rugby team.

“He was pretty ex­cited about com­ing here be­cause he loved sports, like foot­ball, and he joined the rugby team here. So yeah, he re­ally liked it here from my per­spec­tive,” said Chi­naza.

Chi­naza and David have kept busy by speak­ing with Prom­ise’s friends and his man­ager at Fat­burger, where he worked. They hope do­ing so will lead them to some cru­cial clue that can help po­lice. They’ve also or­ga­nized a com­mu­nity search for Prom­ise in Was­cana Park on Satur­day begin­ning at noon out­side the Royal Saskatchewan Mu­seum. Res­i­dents are in­vited to take part.

David has been speak­ing with Prom­ise’s mother ev­ery day since he came to Regina, telling her to be calm and that Prom­ise will be found. David is ask­ing mem­bers of the pub­lic who may have in­for­ma­tion about what hap­pened to his son to con­tact po­lice or Crime Stop­pers.

“We want Prom­ise to come back so that the fam­ily will be com­plete again,” he said.


Fa­ther, David Chuk­wudum, and sis­ter, Chi­naza, are hope­ful that miss­ing U of R stu­dent Prom­ise Chuk­wudum will be found.

Prom­ise Chuk­wudum

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.