Neville greenhouses struck by fire
The production greenhouses for Lennoxville garden centre Les Serres Neville took a serious hit on Sunday morning when a fire broke out in the heating system. According to Sylvain Dusseault, Assistant Director of the Cookshire Fire Department, the outbuilding that housed the heating system is a complete loss and two nearby greenhouses were damaged as a result of the blaze.
Dusseault said that although the fire department has been able to confirm that the fire began in the outbuilding, the exact cause is not yet certain. The building in question had a wood pellet stove and a variety of electrical heaters with some known issues, the Assistant Director explained.
“It is certainly one of the two,” Dusseault said, “but we cannot say exactly what the cause was at this point in time.”
The Neville Family was unavailable to comment on the impact of the damage on the young plants in the greenhouses by press time on Sunday. According to the Serres Neville website, nearly 100 per
cent of the plants sold at the Wellington Street South garden centre are grown at
the production site, including all annuals and perennials.