Por­ta­ble heater prob­a­ble cause of in­jury fire

Shoreline Beacon - - News - Scott Dunn

A fire mar­shal in­ves­ti­ga­tor be­lieves a por­ta­ble heater caused a house fire on Spry Lake Road that left a 17-year-old with se­ri­ous in­juries and also in­jured three oth­ers.

The Oct. 31 fire re­ported at 3:47 a.m., that fully en­gulfed the South Bruce Penin­sula home orig­i­nated in the liv­ing room near an up­hol­stered chair, fire in­ves­ti­ga­tor Mike Ross said in an in­ter­view Nov. 1

“The one thing I’m sort of down to is that I have an in­frared por­ta­ble heater that’s in the area of ori­gin,” he said.

He hasn’t de­ter­mined the “mode of fail­ure” yet, he said. The heater may have been “too close to the up­hol­stered chair” or an “over­load of the electrical cir­cuit sup­ply­ing the heater it­self” caused the fire.

The house was heated by a wood­stove and por­ta­ble heaters, he said.

Ross said the oc­cu­pants heard the fire prior to ac­ti­va­tion of the smoke alarm, and said the de­tec­tors were “some­what re­mote to where the fire started.”

The 17-year-old boy’s con­di­tion was up­graded to se­ri­ous from lifethreat­en­ing and of the oth­ers, “two were treated for smoke ex­po­sure and a third has se­ri­ous burns and smoke ex­po­sure,” Bruce Penin­sula OPP Const. Adam Be­langer said in a news re­lease and sep­a­rate, emailed re­sponse to ques­tions.

The fire is not con­sid­ered sus­pi­cious, he said.

Po­lice have said a 44-year-old man and a 48-year-old woman were in the home with the 17-yearold, while an 18-year-old woman was in a sec­ond struc­ture.

Mean­while, one ef­fort to help is be­ing or­ga­nized by Deb­o­rah Diebel at the Blue­wa­ter Out­door Ed­u­ca­tion Cen­tre, lo­cated near the fire scene. Search for the cen­tre on Face­book to see what’s needed.

A GoFundMe page, found by search­ing Kim­ball/Re­nouf Fam­ily, has raised $2,545 to­wards a stated $20,000 goal by 5 p.m. Nov. 1

That site iden­ti­fies the vic­tims as Nyk Kim­ball, Ni­cole Re­nouf, Jared Kim­ball and Cassie Re­nouf.

It says Jared and Ni­cole were air­lifted to Lon­don, Jared with lifethreat­en­ing in­juries, and Ni­cole sta­ble but in se­ri­ous con­di­tion with third-de­gree burns. Nyk was treated and re­leased for smoke in­hala­tion. Cassie was in an­other build­ing and sus­tained no in­juries, the GoFundMe page said.

Two dogs were lost due to the fire, along with the fam­ily’s pos­ses­sions, it said.

The house­hold had no in­surance and will be in­cur­ring “in­sur­mount­able costs while in Lon­don.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.