Be safe over the holiday season
The Government of Saskatchewan would like to remind all residents of a few practical tips to ensure a safe and happy Christmas and holiday season.
“During the holiday season, it is important to take the time to ensure that your home is fire safe,” Emergency Management and Fire Safety Commissioner Duane McKay said. “Every year someone’s holiday is met with tragedy because of fires related to unattended cooking, candles or faulty Christmas lights.”
When it comes to fire safety, you should ensure your smoke detectors are working, that cooking is never left unattended, electrical outlets are not overloaded and extension cords are in good shape and are being used as designed – not covered by carpets or other materials.
It is important to take some precautions if you choose to have a real tree in your home for the holidays. Before buying a real tree, be sure it is not dried out. You can tell if the needles fall off and the branches break easily. Be sure to cut a couple of centimetres off of the base of the tree and use a stand that has a water reservoir. Natural trees need lots of water, so keep the reservoir full.
It is also important to be prepared for winter driving.
A basic vehicle kit should contain: food that won’t spoil; water in plastic bottles; blankets; extra clothes; winter boots; a candle in a deep can and matches; a first aid kit; a seat-belt cutter; a shovel; a wind-up flashlight; a whistle; maps; sand, salt or non-clumping cat litter; antifreeze/windshield washer fluid; a tow rope; jumper cables; and reflectors, a warning light or road flares.