Shrimp Pad Thai
Ingredients Peanut Sauce
• 1/4 cup (60 ml) chicken broth or water
• 3 tbsp (45 ml) rice vinegar • 3 tbsp (45 ml) crunchy peanut butter
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) lime juice
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) fish sauce
• 1/2 lb (225 g) raw medium shrimp, peeled and halved lengthwise
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce • 1/2 lb (225 g) wide rice noodles • 6 green onions, thinly sliced (white and green parts separated)
• 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped • 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
• 1 tsp (5 ml) sambal oelek
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil • 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 3 cups (225 g) bean sprouts • Unsalted peanuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
• Lime wedges (optional)
1. In a bowl, combine all sauce
ingredients. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, combine the shrimp with the soy sauce. Refrigerate.
3. Place the noodles in a large bowl of boiling water. Let soak for about 10 minutes; the noodles should be very al dente. Rinse and drain. Set aside.
4. In a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, soften the garlic, ginger and the white parts of the onions with the sambal oelek and the oil.
5. Add the peanut sauce, egg, shrimp mixture and noodles. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring until the shrimp are cooked through and the sauce coats the noodles. Adjust the seasoning and add chicken broth, if needed. Sprinkle with bean sprouts, the green parts of the onions and peanuts. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.