Veal Cutlets with Plum Sauce
Serves 4 Ingredients
• 2 to 3 ripe but still firm plums, pitted and cut into thin wedges
• 1/4 cup (55 g) butter
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) Port wine
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 cup (60 ml) chicken broth
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) honey
• 1 star anise
• 4 large veal cutlets
• 2 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
1. In a skillet, sauté the plums in half of the butter. Deglaze with the Port wine and vinegar. Add the broth, honey and star anise. Simmer until the sauce is syrupy. Remove the anise and adjust the seasoning. Keep warm.
2. In a plate, dredge the cutlets in the flour and shake to remove any excess. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet, brown the cutlets, two at a time, over high heat in the remaining butter, about 1 minute per side. Add more butter, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the cutlets with the plum sauce, buttered noodles and a green vegetable of your choice.