Makes 16 brownies Ingredients
1/4 cup (50 g) potato starch
1/4 cup (25 g) cocoa powder, sifted
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs, separated
1 cup (210 g) sugar
8 oz (225 g) semisweet chocolate
1/2 cup (125 ml) canola oil
1. With the rack in the middle position, place a small container of water at the bottom of the oven to create steam. Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Line the bottom of an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking dish with a strip of parchment paper, letting it hang over two sides. Butter the other two sides.
2. In a bowl, combine the potato starch, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Set the meringue aside.
4. In a third bowl, over a double boiler or in a microwave oven, melt the chocolate. Remove the bowl from the double boiler and stir in the oil and egg yolks with a whisk. Let cool.
5. With a spatula, fold the chocolate mixture into the meringue. With a whisk, gently fold in the dry ingredients.
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out with a few crumbs and not completely clean.
7. Let cool slightly. Cover to prevent a thick crust forming on the surface. Let cool completely in the pan, about 2 hours. Remove from the pan and cut into squares.