Group boycotts session, saying Métis left out
Questions not tailored to their needs, say women, frustrated with national inquiry
Women of the Métis Nation say they’ve been “shut out” of the process for the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls, a pattern consistent with hearings for the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and Sixties Scoop.
Last week, members of the Women of the Métis Nation (Les Femmes Michif Otipemisiwak) boycotted a guided dialogue session from Nov. 19-21 in Edmonton. They argue the session was led by a third-party contractor who did not tailor the questions specifically to the systemic challenges Métis women and girls face compared to other Indigenous peoples.
Melanie Omeniho, president The National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women has weathered a storm of criticism, ranging from a lack of transparency and accountability, to high staff turnover, and most recently, not including Métis voices.
of Women of the Métis Nation, said her organization has been working with the national inquiry since August to ensure the dialogue session would include the voices of Métis women, families, and
survivors. But she said the process has fallen short.
“There was never, ever Métis families identified as part of the hearing,” Omeniho said. “So we were never able to go there as intervenors.”