Quick Chicken and Couscous
Serves 4 to 6 Ingredients
• 1 whole leek, thinly sliced
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil for couscous
• 2 carrots, peeled and grated • 1/3 cup (50 g) dried cranberries, chopped
• 1 tsp ground fennel seeds • 2 cups (500 ml) chicken broth for couscous
• 2 cups (400 g) couscous
• 1 1/2 lb (675 g) skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cubed • 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil for chicken
• 3 tbsp (45 ml) sundried tomato pesto
• 1/2 tsp bird’s eye chili pepper, chopped
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) chicken broth for chicken
• 1/2 cup (15 g) cilantro leaves
1. In a pot over medium-high heat, soften the leek in the oil for the couscous for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the carrots, cranberries and ground fennel. Cook for 1 minute, then add the chicken broth for the couscous. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the couscous. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, in a skillet over high heat, brown the chicken in the oil for the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Add the pesto and chili pepper. Cook for 3 minutes or until the chicken starts to slightly caramelize. Deglaze with the broth for the chicken and mix well.
3. Transfer the couscous to a serving dish and top with the chicken. Garnish with the cilantro and drizzle with the cooking liquid from the skillet.