Taliban attack Afghan forces checkpoint, kill 13 soldiers, policemen
Insurgents hold nearly half country, refuse to negotiate with U.s.-backed government
KABUL—THE Taliban launched an attack early Monday on a newly established joint Afghan army and police checkpoint in eastern Ghazni province, killing at least 13 soldiers and policemen, according to a provincial official.
Afghan reinforcements were subsequently dispatched to the site of the attack in Khogyani district but were repeatedly ambushed along the way.
The assault came as a resurgent Taliban hold nearly half of Afghanistan, with near-daily attacks on Afghan security forces. The Taliban view the U.s.-backed government in Kabul as a dysfunctional Western puppet and have refused repeated offers to negotiate with it.
Arif Noori, spokesman for the provincial governor in Ghazni, said that seven soldiers and six policemen were killed. Four soldiers were also wounded in the early morning attack at the checkpoint.
According to the spokesman, six insurgents were killed and more than 10 others were wounded during the ensuing three-hour battle with Afghan forces.
Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement sent to the media.
The joint checkpoint was set up just two days ago in a strategic area to cut off a supply route for the Taliban but was now completely burned down and destroyed, Noori said.
“Reinforcements were rushed to assist the forces under attack but they were ambushed by other Taliban fighters at least four times while on their way to the checkpoint,” said Noori.
The Taliban have stepped up attacks in volatile Ghazni, and in August overran parts of the provincial capital, also FULL STORY AT THESTAR.COM/WORLD Firefighters in Marseille work with a rescue dog to locate people who might be trapped in debris of one of two collapsed buildings Monday. Officials feared some might be hurt. called Ghazni. At the time, hundreds of people fled the city amid intense fighting between Afghan forces and the Taliban that killed about 120 members of the security forces and civilians.
Ghazni is the only one out of 34 Afghan provinces where the country’s October parliamentary elections could not take place for security reasons. Voting there has been postponed for a year.
In southern Kandahar province the vote was delayed for a week after an attack by an elite Afghan guard killed two top government officials, including a powerful provincial police chief. It’s not that hard to find the Infowars articles that Jewish groups worry about. A quick search of the site pulls up an article suggesting the U.S. government perpetrated the recent attack on the Pittsburgh synagogue as a false flag operation. (It’s the “latest move by the Deep State to sow civil unrest and effect [sic] the historic upcoming midterm election,” the site’s authors write.) There’s one calling Jewish philanthropist George Soros a “Nazi collaborator.”
Jewish leaders in Britain say the site is biased against Jews. Now, some are calling on the U.K. Independence Party (UKIP) to cut ties with the website. Afghan security forces patrol a site in Ghazni province earlier this year. The Taliban attacked a checkpoint in eastern Ghazni on Monday. PYONGYANG, KOREA—NORTH Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Cuban President Miguel Diaz-canel — both hoping to get out from under U.S. economic sanctions — have agreed to expand and strengthen their strategic relations, North Korea’s state media reported Monday.
Diaz-canel, who is in Asia on his first international tour since assuming office in April, arrived in Pyongyang with his wife on Sunday. He was met at the airport by Kim, who joined him on the ride into the city past flower-waving and cheering crowds. North Korea’s state media reported the two stressed their shared socialist history and vowed continued solidarity. WWW.THESTAR.COM
SEARCHING FOR SURVIVORS IN MARSEILLE, FRANCE
Jewish leaders asking UKIP to cut ties with Infowars
Cuban president meets North Korea’s Kim Jong Un
NBC, Fox will stop airing Trump’s immigrant ad
NEW YORK—NBC and Fox News Channel both said Monday that they will stop airing U.S. President Donald Trump’s campaign advertisement that featured an immigrant convicted of murder.
CNN had rejected the same ad, declaring it racist.
Fox pulled the ad Sunday. Fox did not immediately say how many times it aired on either Fox News Channel or the Fox Business Network.
The advertisement aired on NBC’S Sunday Night Football and MSNBC’S Morning Joe, and drew a heated online response.