COOKING WITH RICARDO
Red Wine with Mushroom Poutine with Soft-boiled Egg the butter. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Deglaze with the wine and let reduce for
1 minute. Add the broth mixture and morel mushrooms. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Season with pepper.
3. Using a spoon, gently drop the eggs into a pot of simmering water. Cook for 6 minutes. Rinse under cold running water. Carefully peel the eggs and set aside.
4. Preheat the oil in a deep fryer to 350F (180C). Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
5. Fry half of the French fries at a time until crisp. Drain on the paper towels and keep warm.
6. Divide the fries among four bowls and top with the cheese curds, sauce and chives. Place a soft-boiled egg on top of each poutine and carefully cut in half.
Serves 4 Ingredients
• 2 tbsp cornstarch
• 1 can (10 oz/284 ml) concentrated beef broth
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
• 1/2 lb (225 g) white mushrooms, quartered
• 3 tbsp butter
• 1 red onion, thinly sliced
• 1 cup (250 ml) red wine
• 1/2 oz (15 g) dried morel mushrooms, coarsely chopped
• 4 eggs, at room temperature
• 2.2 lb (1 kg) frozen French fries
• 1 cup (175 g) cheese curds or diced cheddar
• 2 tbsp chives, chopped
• Canola oil, for frying
1. In a bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth and water until smooth.
2. In a large skillet over high heat, brown the white mushrooms in