C13 VANCOUVER HARBOUR
West Bay – Nice pebble beach with picnic tables and boat launch; private homes on both sides. Sandy Cove, 800 m (.5 mi) west.
Navvy Jack Point – East is Ambleside Park with picnic areas and beautiful walkways along Seawalk Gardens. No dogs on the beach and launching of jet skis or personal watercrafts is prohibited. Named for Navvy Jack who supplied gravel from this site to Vancouver by rowboat.
First Narrows – The area is very busy with ships, freighters, tugs, barges, recreational vessels and ferries. Fishing, sailing and SCUBA diving are prohibited between the First and Second Narrows Bridge. Lions Gate Bridge was completed November 14, 1938 and crossed in 1939 by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. Clearance at high water is 60 m (198 ft).
Burrard Inlet – Named after Captain Harry Burrard who was the acting Lieutenant with Captain Vancouver. Be careful of the three different currents around the lighted marker area just west of Lions Gate Bridge. There is an outflow from Capilano River; currents from the Georgia Straight and currents from Burrard Inlet.
Stanley Park - Established in 1889 and boasts a 9 km (5.5 mi) seawall along its shores. It’s home to a zoo, water park, farmyard, cycle paths, and a world renowned aquarium with thousands of species.
Brockton Point Light - The Chehalis in the west bay was 59.3 feet long, 13 feet wide and 65 gross tons. It was accidentally run down by the Princess of Victoria, a 2,000 gross ton steamer. Eight of 14 passengers and crew died.
Deadman’s Island - This is the most unique island you will ever see. It is connected to Stanley Park and houses the H.M.C.S. Discovery, a naval reserve division. It was commissioned on November 1, 1941 as a ship. As soon as you cross the bridge you are on board this ship.
Vancouver Rowing Club - Started in 1899 when the Burrard Inlet Rowing Club joined the Vancouver Club.
Royal Vancouver Yacht Club - In 1905, the old clubhouse was towed behind Deadman’s Island and used until 1977. 10. Parthia Shoal - Named after the CPR steamer Parthia. “Girl in Wet Suit,” also known to some as the “Lady in the Water” or Copenhagen’s Mermaid.
11. Prospect Point Light - On July 26, 1888, the steamer S.S. Beaver, 100.9 feet long, 20 feet across, 11.5 feet deep was wrecked here.
12. Ferguson Point - Shallow waters in front of Third Beach and Siwash Rock is 800 m (.5 mi) north. Power boats and personal watercrafts are prohibited within 300m of water’s edge and at any bathing beaches.
13. English Bay – Provides good anchorage between Stanley Park and Spanish Banks. At times you may find as many as 12 large ships anchored here.
14. False Creek – named by Captain Richards of the H.M.S. Plumber in 1860. Speed limit of five knots and no anchorage or ‘sail–up’ is permitted. Canadian Coast Guard station on the south shore by the boat launch.
15. Granville Island - Discovered in 1858 by Captain George Richards.
16. Kitsilano Point - Kitsilano Beach has park benches, playgrounds and tennis courts. Vanier Park - named after George P. Vanier, the first French Canadian Governor General.
17. Royal Vancouver Yacht Club – Formed in 1903, seventeen years after Vancouver was incorporated.
18. Jericho Sailing Centre Association – The floating dock is primarily used by Jericho Rescue boats and safety boats involved in the operation of the Jericho Sailing Centre. It is also used by the Canadian Coast Guard for medical evacuations off the water. As dock space is limited, it is available for public use as an emergency dock or passenger pick-up/drop off, but not for tying up. The public beach and water way in front of the Jericho Sailing Centre is designated for use by small, naturally powered craft: kayaks, windsurfers, row boats, sailing dinghies, stand-up paddling etc. Swimming is prohibited. Boats, other than rescue or safety craft involved with Jericho Sailing Centre programs are not permitted in this area other than to approach the Emergency Dock.
19. Spanish Banks – Named by Captain Vancouver when he discovered the Spanish vessels Sutil and Mexicana at anchor after rowing from Jervis Inlet.
20. Point Grey – Named after Captain George Grey. At this location the S.S. Squid, with 25 tons of dynamite, was rammed by the Canadian Pacific Princess Joan. Wreck Beach, a popular place just to the south of Point Grey, received its name from the coastal freighter “Trader” (101 feet long, 22.6 feet wide, 172 tons). She sank on March 16, 1923, while captained by Fred Anderson with no loss of life but lots of wreckage on the beach (UASBC.)
21. Lion’s Gate Marina is the North Shore’s newest marine facility featuring a boat launch and a 45 ton Sea-lift which can safely haul 60ft yachts out of the water. Covered and outdoor work yards are available for your maintenance needs, along with secure indoor and outdoor dry storage for trailered and larger yachts. Many other services including shrink wrapping, oil recycling and enviro-waste treatment are available.