C16 FRASER RIVER
North Arm - Known as The Ditch. It leads north of Sea Island and joins the main channel at New Westminster. Sturgeon Bank (on the south side) was named by Capt. George Vancouver in 1792. Iona Island provides beach-combing, toilets and a picnic table. Log booms can be found moored to the banks almost anywhere in the North Arm.
Sea Island - Mostly owned by MOT. It separates North Arm from Middle Arm and is the site of the Vancouver International Airport. The airport control tower and large, white, “golfball-shaped” dome are easily noticed. Just east of North Arm are the Arthur Laing and Oak Street Bridges.
Middle Arm - Separates Sea and Lulu Islands. It is best entered from North Arm. Sturgeon Bank obstructs its west entrance and has no marked channel across it. It has depths up to 3.6m as far as Dinsmore bridge.
Mitchell Island - Comprised of three islands: Eburne, Twigg and Mitchell Islands. Knight Street Bridge passes over Mitchell Island.
Lulu Island - Was named by Colonel Moody in 1862 after Lulu Street, a young actress. The first dikes were built in 1865 at the south end of the London Farm historic site.
Poplar Island - Lies in the middle of the channel; the fairway is on its south side.
South Arm - It is the Main Channel for the Fraser River. It is used by tugs, barges, log booms, fishing boats, and for deep-sea shipping. It is navigable for deep-sea vessels as far as Douglas Island, 38 km (24 mi) from the entrance. Lots of gillnetters will be encountered during the salmon fishery from July to September. Steveston Jetty, built between 1911 and 1930, is the oldest known stone retaining wall.
Steveston - A historic village founded in 1880 by Maniah Steves. It is known locally as Cannery Basin. It is the centre of the salmon canning industry and is used extensively by commercial fishermen. Fuel, fresh water, shipping facilities, haul out and repairs are available. Steveston Island is well known for its wide variety of plants and sandy beaches. Scott Pond is a private well and protects fish harbor just NW of Steveston Island.
Westham Island - First settled in 1870. At the north end is Reifel Island; a bird sanctuary locally known as Smokey Tom Island. It houses the Alaksen Nainal Wildlife Area which includes the George C. Reifel Water Fowl Refuge with over 200 species of waterfowl on 340 ha (845 ac). It is a very popular bird watching area with washrooms and picnic tables. Toodward Training Wall forms the north side of the Island.
Canoe Passage - Separates Westman Island from the mainland. Local knowledge is advised when navigating the channel across Roberts Bank. The swing bridge built in 1909, will open on demand. Stay on the mainland side of the passage. Sea Reach has depths of at least 4 m (12 ft) and is the preferred channel when entering from Steveston.
Ladner Reach - Extends from the north entrance of Canoe Passage to the junction of Deas Slough and Woodward Reach. The town of Ladner was named after the Ladner brothers who settled in the area in 1868.
George Massey Tunnel - A main highway tunnel, built in 1959, passes under the river between Deas and Lulu Islands. Anchorage in the area is prohibited.
Deas Island - Named after John Sullivan Deas who establish a cannery there in 1873. The entire island is the home of the Deas Island Regional Park. It has hiking trails, picnic tables, washrooms and a rowing course. Landing is possible on the beach at the head of Deas Slough. Deas Slough has two marinas and the highway bridge crossing it has a 9.9m clearance.
Gravesend Reach - Stretches from Deas to Annacis Islands. The deepest channel lies along the NW bank and is usually busy with large ships.
Annacis Channel - Preferred channel to enter is from the west, between Don Island and Purfleet Point. The channel is frequently cluttered with logs east of the swing bridge. Sub-marine pipelines and cables cross the channel in several locations.
City Reach - Known as St. Mungo’s Bend. It extends from the south side of Annacis Island to Gunderson Slough; the Alex Fraser Bridge crosses it.
Annieville Channel - Extends from Gunderson Slough to Pattulo Bridge. Both sides of the channel have retaining walls.
Queens Reach - Extends from New Westminster to Port Mann bridge. The shore is lined with piles and dolphins. City Bank is a log storage ground.
Douglas Island - The south side channel is preferred as it is wider and deeper.