Travel Tips

Super Camping - - CONTENTS -

The Canada Bor­der Ser­vices Agency (CBSA) is re­spon­si­ble for bor­der ac­cess, ser­vices and se­cu­rity. The Canada Bor­der Ser­vices Agency website­eng.html de­tails many an­swers to ques­tions fre­quently asked by trav­ellers. The Cana­dian Food In­spec­tion Agency han­dles the rules con­cern­ing the tem­po­rary im­port­ing of pets such as dogs. For ex­pected wait times cross­ing Canada/United States land bor­ders visit When you en­ter Canada, a cus­toms of­fi­cer will ask to see your na­tional pass­port and a valid visa, if one is nec­es­sary. Ev­ery­one from ev­ery coun­try ar­riv­ing in Canada by Air, Land or

Sea needs a valid pass­port, or equiv­a­lent travel doc­u­ments.

Cus­toms of­fi­cer’s at all Cana­dian en­try points are au­tho­rized to in­ter­view per­sons seek­ing en­try to Canada to de­ter­mine ad­mis­si­bil­ity. Their goal is to fa­cil­i­tate the en­try of le­git­i­mate trav­ellers as quickly as pos­si­ble.

As a vis­i­tor, you can bring cer­tain goods into Canada for your own use as “per­sonal bag­gage.” Per­sonal bag­gage in­cludes cloth­ing, camp­ing and sports equip­ment, cam­eras, tape recorders and per­sonal com­put­ers. This also in­cludes trav­el­ling in ve­hi­cles, ves­sels and air­crafts. First and fore­most, as re­quired by law, all goods must be de­clared at the time of your ini­tial con­tact with Cus­toms. Cus­toms does con­duct im­port/ex­port ex­am­i­na­tions. For the most part, th­ese are rou­tine in na­ture, and serve to ver­ify dec­la­ra­tions.

Vis­i­tors to British Columbia are en­ti­tled to bring in a rea­son­able num­ber of per­sonal ef­fects. Vis­i­tors aged 19 years or over may im­port up to 50 cigars, 200 cig­a­rettes, 200g (7 oz.) of to­bacco, 1.14 L (40 oz.) of spir­its or 1.5 L (53 im­pe­rial oz.) of wine or 8.5 L (288 oz.) of beer or ale for per­sonal con­sump­tion. Cur­rency and mon­e­tary in­stru­ments equal to or greater than CAN $10,000 must be re­ported to Cana­dian Cus­toms. All re­volvers, pis­tols, fully au­to­matic firearms and other weapons, and self-de­fence sprays such as pep­per spray and mace are pro­hib­ited en­try into Canada. All firearms (i.e. hunt­ing ri­fles, shot­guns) and per­sonal pro­tec­tion de­vices (i.e. stun guns, mace, pep­per spray) must be de­clared.

For more in­for­ma­tion on cus­toms reg­u­la­tions call the Canada Bor­der Ser­vices Agency at 1-800-461-9999 within Canada and 204-9833500 out­side Canada or visit

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.