Amherst Area Heritage Trust, Valentine’s Run and sexual health centre receive funding
‘A’ Fresh Start Community Initiative presents several grants to area organizations.
The first ‘A’ Fresh Start Community Initiative grants have been handed out to deserving recipients.
The Amherst Area Heritage Trust received a cheque for $1,200 for its project, an Evening of Art and War.
The event, held in conjunction with the Nova Scotia Highlanders Museum, was held at the Col. James Layton Ralston Armoury earlier this month.
Seven Arthur Lismer lithographs depicting scenes from the First World War were on display during the evening. Lismer, a member of the famous Group of Seven landscape painters that was formed in 1920 and an Order of Canada recipient, painted the scenes during the war, which ran between 1914 and 1918.
The lithographs are part of the museum’s collection of war memorabilia that is located in the armoury. The Trust hopes the event will bring attention to the efforts to save the historic armoury and the artifacts in the museum that would be lost should the building close.
The Valentine Run Committee received a $3,200 cheque that will be used to introduce a one-kilometre run/walk, aimed exclusively at students in Grades 4 to 6, to the sixth annual Amherst Valentine Run. The event is scheduled for Feb. 16. It currently holds run/walks of three, five, 10 and 21.1 kilometres.
Organizers believe adding the one-kilometre run/walk will attract about 100 new participants while providing those in the young grades the opportunity to learn about team building, proper stretching and nutrition as they train together.
The Sexual Health Centre for Cumberland County received a $3,200 cheque. They will use it to host a youth engagement forum to facilitate broader awareness of sexual health among the area’s youth.
The forum will include a highprofile speaker who will talk about technology and sexual health. The centre believes the forum is needed because statistics it has collected show there continues to be pour sexual health outcomes among the area’s youth.
The cheques received by the three groups represent 80 per cent of what was awarded in October following presentations made by each organization and a public vote. The remaining 20 per cent will be given to the groups upon the completion of the events and the receipt by town council of a report on the activity.
The cheques were handed out by Mayor David Kogon and Deputy-Mayor Sheila Christie, both of whom praised the organizations for developing new events for the town or enhancing existing activities.
Amherst Deputy Mayor Sheila Christie presents Amherst Area Heritage Trust member Denise Allen, Jennifer Cameron, Dale Davis and Ashley Fowler with their ‘A’ Fresh Start Community Grant for an Evening of Art and War with Arthur Lismer.
Amherst Deputy Mayor Sheila Christie presents Amherst Valentine Run organizers Shelley Carroll, Rick McKenney, Rachna Minocha, Ronnie Black and Alan Theal with their ‘A’ Fresh Start Community Initiative grant.