1. Hope Blooms, Greenhouse and Garden 2346 BRUNSWICK STREET
Stop by Hope Blooms for a chat with some of the staff and youth leaders, and a tour of the lovely gardens and award- winning greenhouse. Enjoy a taste testing of their own fresh herb salad dressings.
Through their own actions and hard work, the youth of Hope Blooms learn how to grow food, produce and successfully market value-added products, develop a small social enterprise from the ground up, and give back to their community.
Open Saturday only 10 a. m. to 4 p. m.
2. Hope Cottage 2435 BRUNSWICK STREET
Begun as what was hoped to be a short- term solution to a temporary problem, Hope Cottage has grown into an institution, firmly woven into the social fabric of Halifax. Hope Cottage serves over 200 meals at two sittings a day, Monday to Friday, 90 people at a time. The cottage itself dates from about 1810.
Hope Cottage is financed entirely through donations from individuals, community groups and organizations — no government funding. The annual operating budget is approximately $ 300,000. With a full- time staff of three, Hope Cottage relies on the assistance of numerous volunteers and the support of a number of local hotels, businesses, community groups and organizations to help prepare and serve the meals. For Doors Open Halifax weekend, enjoy a complimentary lunch from 11: 30 a. m. to 2: 30 p. m. — financial donations gladly accepted.
3. Little Dutch “Deutsch” Church
2393 BRUNSWICK STREET
Originally constructed in 1753, and converted to a church in 1756 to serve the German-speaking “foreign Protestants” brought to Halifax by the British Government, the Little Dutch Church remains Halifax’s second- oldest surviving building after St. Paul’s Church. The Little Dutch Church was a chapel of St. Paul’s Parish until 1827, when it was transferred to the newly-created Parish of Saint George. Today, the Little Dutch Church continues to be used as a chapel of Saint George’s Parish, hosting the Daily Offices of Morning and Evening Prayer during the summer months.
4. Point North 3065 ROBIE STREET
A BANC development, Point North is a modern and luxurious residential building in Halifax’s North End. This state- of-the-art, mixed-use development offers an optimal experience for area residents, enhancing the character of the neighbourhood and creating a more pedestrian friendly environment. All suites feature porcelain tile, vinyl plank flooring, two-tone gloss cabinets, tile backsplash, granite countertops and six stainless steel appliances. Each retail unit at ground level has excellent street frontage and large display windows. Doors Open Halifax visitors will discover these details and a new vista on the city.
5. Saint Antonios Antiochain Orthodox Church 6141 CHEBUCTO ROAD
This lovely iteration of Saint Antonios Church is a unique hybrid, exhibiting decorative features endemic to both Orthodox and Anglican denominations.
In 2010, the Saint Antionios congregation had outgrown its previous church building and purchased its neighbour across the street, St. Matthias Anglican Church, which was in danger of closure and demolition. A major two- year renovation was completed in 2012, which involved re- orienting the altar and sanctuary eastward, and relocating the main entrance, transforming the church from the classic 1914 English- style, red brick structure it had previously been to one that embodies the Orthodox faith. On the walls and dome of Saint Antonios are painted spectacular religious depictions, similar to those in St. George’s Greek Orthodox Church (another Doors Open venue). Precious stained glass windows, many commemorating St. Matthias parish’s war dead, were bequeathed to Saint Antonios by the St. Matthias parishioners. For Doors Open weekend, guided tours will be given and refreshments will be available.
Open Saturday 10 a. m. to 4 p. m. and Sunday 1 p. m. to 4 p. m.
6. St. George’s (Round) Anglican Church 2222 BRUNSWICK STREET
This perfectly circular structure was built between 1800 and 1812 under the patronage of Edward, Duke of Kent, with financial support from his father, George III. The building was expanded in the 1820s and again in the 1910s. Saint George’s Church is the oldest wooden round church in North America, and is an excellent example of Palladian architecture. In 1994, a fire heavily damaged the building and destroyed the domed roof. Restoration of Saint George’s lasted six years.
The crypt holds only two people: Colonel Joseph Des Barres, the cartographer responsible for the mapping of the Atlantic coast from Newfoundland to New York and first lieutenant- governor of Cape Breton Island, and his wife, Martha.
Open Saturday only 10 a. m. to 4 p. m.
7. St. Patrick’s Church 2263 BRUNSWICK STREET
The parish began unofficially in the 1830s as a mission parish, where the community gathered in a barn on the corner of Gottingen and Gerrish streets. By 1843, the Roman Catholic population in the old North End had increased, and the former Dissenters Meeting House (used as an Anglican garrison chapel) was purchased. After renovation, it served as the first St. Patrick’s Church.
In 1883, it was decided to construct a new church on the same site and two years later, the new (current) church was officially opened. The building is in the Victorian Gothic style, red brick with Nova Scotia granite trim and stucco- faced sides. It has a symmetrical front façade with typical Gothic detailing: hood drip molds, spires, window tracery and buttresses. The church houses a magnificent Cassavant organ that was purchased for $ 5,385 and installed in 1898. The organ was designated a heritage instrument in 2006.
In 1896, the Bavarian Art Establishment of Franz Mayer & Co. of Munich and New York was commissioned to design and install stained glass windows in the church. All but four of these beautiful windows required replacement in 1922 after being damaged by the 1917 Halifax Explosion. The 1910 altar is of Rutland statuary marble built by Griffin and Keltie.
Open Saturday 10 a. m. to 4 p. m. and Sunday 12 p. m. to 4 p. m.
8. Supreme Court Family Division 3380 DEVONSHIRE AVENUE
The building that houses the Family Division of the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia was once Richmond School, built in 1921 to replace the original school that had been destroyed in the Halifax Explosion of 1917.
The supreme court in Halifax, established in 1754, is the oldest in Canada and among the oldest in North America. The Family Division of the Supreme Court was established in Nova Scotia to deal with all family law matters arising within Halifax and Cape Breton Counties.
9. Veith House 3115 VEITH STREET
The building that’s home to Veith House was built in 1924 as the Halifax Protestant Orphanage to replace the previous orphanage destroyed in the 1917 Halifax Explosion. The orphanage closed in 1969 and shortly thereafter the building was re- established as Veith House, a community resource for children and families.
Every summer, Veith House is visited by people who lived in the orphanage as children and by their descendants. The stories shared by these families inspired Veith House staff and volunteers to create the Halifax Protestant Orphanage Memorial Room on the third floor. This is a quiet space containing artifacts from the orphanage, as well as items from Veith House’s own 47- year history.