1. Armdale Yacht Club 75 BURGEE RUN
Incorporated in 1937 and located on historic Melville Island at the head of Halifax’s Northwest Arm, the Armdale Yacht Club is one of the oldest yacht clubs in Nova Scotia. Since the 18th century, Melville Island has been a hospital, a quarantine station for immigrants arriving from Europe, a military prison and prisoner of war camp during the Napoleonic Wars, War of 1812 and World War I, a recruit training station for the British Foreign Legion during the Crimean War, and an ammunition depot in World War II. Come for a tour, take in the million- dollar view, and savour the legacy and legend of AYC!
2. St. George’s Greek Orthodox Church 38 PURCELLS COVE ROAD
Consecrated in 1985, St. George’s Greek Orthodox Church was designed by the Halifax firm of Dumaresq and Byrne, based on the Roman basilica style in the shape of a cross. The interior of the dome over its centre bears an image of Christ Pantokrator, or “ruler of all.” The church’s interior is rich with imagery referring to Christ’s last days and resurrection. The iconography on the walls and altar depict events in the life of Christ, important Greek saints and angels, and took two years to complete.
The first Greek Fest, held at the new church in 1986, attracted more than 10,000 people. This annual festival, featuring food, music, dance and other aspects of Greek culture, has continued to grow in popularity, with attendance soaring to over 20,000 in 2016.
3. The Dingle Tower, Sir Sandford Flemming Park Halifax 260 DINGLE ROAD
The Memorial Tower (known locally as the Dingle Tower), was commissioned by Sir Sandford Fleming and donated to the people of Halifax in commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the establishment of representative government in Nova Scotia in 1758. Completed in 1912, it offers a sweeping view of Sir Sandford Fleming Park and the Northwest Arm. Located in what was originally Fleming’s summer estate, the tower is comprised of ironstone and granite details, ionic columns, and classic Palladian windows. The tower also features two bronze lions, donated in 1913, similar to those in Trafalgar Square in London, England. An extensive interior and exterior restoration of the tower was completed between 2010 and 2013 and included repointing of masonry details, a new copper roof, stairs, lighting, and refurbishment of the 35 interior plaques commemorating Canadian universities and provinces, Commonwealth countries and cities. The Memorial Tower was declared a National Historic Site of Canada in 2010.