1. Halifax Junior Bengal Lancers 1690 BELL ROAD
This non-profit riding society was founded in 1932 by M.B. Dick. The building that houses the Lancers was constructed in 1908 and served as the city works shop and housed police and fire horses. In 1942 it became home to the Lancers. It was one of the first local structures to use concrete and concrete blocks, which helped it survive a fire in 1949 that destroyed the interior stables but left the exterior standing. That same year, the Halifax Junior Bengal Lancers received their regimental colours from Lord Cornwallis (a descendant of Halifax founder Edward Cornwallis) for their contribution to the city during the Second World War.
In the late 1960s, a therapeutic riding program for individuals with special needs was established at the facility and continues to be an integral part of Lancers’ programming. The building underwent a major renovation in the 1970s, when swaths of the structure were removed to streamline it into stables and an indoor riding ring. It was designated a Halifax Heritage Property in 2001. For Doors Open Halifax weekend, enjoy a guided tour and watch a musical ride practice on Saturday from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.
2. Provincial Courthouse 5250 SPRING GARDEN ROAD
This local landmark opened in 1860 was built with three reasons in mind. The first was that the growing town needed somewhere other than the church to carry out and settle charges. Second, there had been a very large number of fires in Halifax and this building was one of the first in the city to be created with more fire repellant materials. Third, the building needed to model both power and permanence for the thriving city.
Following a hiatus from 1971–1985, when it housed the Provincial Library and other government departments, this imposing example of Classical revival architecture continues its function as a courthouse today. Guided tours will be available for Doors Open Halifax weekend.
Open Saturday only, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
3. City Greenhouses & Horticultural Tour 5711 SACKVILLE STREET
Ever wonder where all the flowers and trees for our parks and open spaces come from? The municipality has two large greenhouses, one in Halifax and one in Dartmouth, where all the flowering annuals, veggies and other specimen plants are grown for our parks and gardens. Come take a tour.
Open Saturday only from 10 a. m. to 4 p. m.
4. Lord Nelson Hotel 1515 SOUTH PARK STREET
The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites is a classic Maritime landmark serving excellence since 1928, well-known as the first choice of royalty and celebrity alike. The hotel was named after Admiral Horatio Nelson, who never came to Halifax in his famous naval career, but whose name stood for naval traditions strongly associated with the heritage of Halifax.
Step into the lobby and experience a grand sense of arrival. Some character- defining elements include ornate millwork framing a lovely coffered ceiling, and crystal chandeliers reflected in the sparkling marble floors. The aim of the construction was to use local materials and to award contracts locally. As much as possible materials available in Nova Scotia were used, although some had to be imported.
Photos and artifacts will be on display, and guided tours will take place during Doors Open Halifax weekend. The Arms Restaurant is located just off the lobby and features traditional English pub fare as well as a variety of tempting international dishes.
5. Old Burying Ground CORNER OF BARRINGTON STREET AND SPRING GARDEN ROAD
At the founding of Halifax in 1749, the burying ground lay outside the new settlement’s palisades. During its 95 years of use, approximately 12,000 people were buried here. It was closed to burials in August 1844. The Welsford-Parker arch is the only monument to the Crimean War in North America and was erected in 1860 in memory of two Nova Scotians who were killed in the siege of Sebastopol. The red sandstone arch is carved with names of Crimean War battles and is topped by a twelve-ton lion. George Lang, the builder and sculptor of the Welsford-Parker monument, also built the nearby Provincial Courthouse and Keith Hall (both also Doors Open venues) and the Federal Building (now the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia.) The Old Burying Ground is a National Historic Site – the first graveyard in Canada to receive such a designation – and a Provincial and Municipal Registered Heritage Property.
6. Sacred Heart School of Halifax 5820 SPRING GARDEN ROAD
Founded in 1849, Sacred Heart School of Halifax is the oldest continually operating private school in Halifax. The building was constructed in 1850 by the Religious of the Sacred Heart. Renovations in 1876 gave the school a more Victorian look. Keeping with gothic revival trends, a crenellated parapet (medieval effect) was added to the roofline on the central turret. The front of the building was bricked in 1896 and the porte-cochère was added soon after. Today, Sacred Heart is an independent Catholic school that educates boys and girls through grade 12: co-ed age 4 to grade 6, and single-sex grades 7 to 12.
7. Steele Ocean Sciences Building at Dalhousie 1355 OXFORD STREET
The Steele Ocean Sciences Building is home to world-class scientists working to better understand our mysterious and complex global ocean. Residents of the building include the CERC.OCEAN research group, Ocean Frontier Institute, Ocean Tracking Network, Marine Environmental Observation Prediction and Response Network (MEOPAR) and the Aquatron
Laboratory. Learn about ocean research, life and technology through family-friendly activities in the building’s beautiful atrium.
Duffus Romans Kundzins Rounsefell Architects Ltd. designed this four-storey, 76,000-square-foot building 400 metres away from Halifax’s Northwest Arm. Don’t miss a performance by Raina the mermaid from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. for Doors Open Halifax weekend only!
Nova Scotia Association of Architects