CO poisonings prompt warning
VANCOUVER — A senior paramedic in British Columbia is encouraging homeowners to buy carbon monoxide detectors and inspect their appliances following a spike in poisonings in the past week.
Leon Baranowski, paramedic practice leader with B.C. Emergency Health Services, says the colourless and odourless gas can be emitted from fuels including wood, gasoline, coal and propane when they don’t burn completely.
“At this time of year, as people start to turn on their water heaters, their gas appliances, fireplaces and panel heaters in unventilated spaces, carbon monoxide has the potential to build up in that environment. Over time, that can start to overcome patients and affect them,” Baranowski said.
A family of five from Barriere, B.C., was airlifted to a hospital in Vancouver in serious but stable conditionon Thursday. Two family members were unconscious when they were pulled from their home and the monitors worn by paramedics indicated high levels of the gas when they entered the home.
On Wednesday, 13 people with carbon monoxide poisoning were taken to hospital from an office building in Vancouver. Energy company FortisBC said a technician identified a problem with a boiler.
There were at least another three cases on the Lower Mainland in the past week, said Emergency Health Services communications officer Shannon Miller.
Paramedics in the province respond to about 100 cases of carbon monoxide poisoning over the course of the year, she said.