Dalkeith is a tiny town with a big, warm heart. Our history dates back to 1811. First called Robertson Mills because John Robertson and his wife Janet McKay ran a mill on the shores of the de Graisse River (Rigaud River). By 1867 the name was changed to Dalkeith in honour of where the Robertsons came from in Scotland. The river held a place of honour as this quote from an old book (Kirk of Glengarry) reveals: “Travel was not easy. Visitors should come by the St. Lawrence River or the Grand Trunk Railroad to Lancaster followed by a stage coach. Those coming from Ottawa were to disembark at L’Orignal. Those from Montreal were advised to come by the River de Graisse (Rigaud River) to Dalkeith.” Travellers were advised to come in summertime as winter was long and difficult. Times have changed but the river still runs.
September 10, 11, 12, 13 – “On the Trail of Poppies.” Remembering and Honouring Our Own – WWI. Four days of vintage music, song, dance, food and beverages, exhibits, exhibitors, arts, artists, artisans, artifacts, games, sports, speakers, talks, conversation, fun and more “bringing alive life as it was lived way back when.” Hosted by the Dalkeith Historical Society Info: 613-874-2514 or www.dalkeithhistory.com Call: 613-874-9994 Sunday, October 18, 10 am to 4 pm – Autumn Food & Art Fair: 1841 Dalkeith Road. December – Santa’s village. Join us three weekends in December 10 am - 4 pm. 1535 Dalkeith Rd. www.santasvillagedalkeith.com
Below (Dalkeith) river bridges then and now
Top-Ice cutting on the river.