NAMED AFTER MARY McDONALD’S HOTEL
The village was named in 1878 after the Green Valley Hotel established in the 1840s by Mary McDonald. During these early days, it was a popular spot just south of Green Valley northeast of the Beaudette River. Travellers between Hawkesbury and Lancaster would stop here for a rest and for a drink.
The story of Green Valley got a big push in 1887 when the Canadian Pacific Railway crossed Highway 34. This would link Green Valley to Apple Hill and eventually Toronto and Montreal.
In 1938 Leo Lajoie built the Green Valley Pavilion which drew crowds from everywhere. The hall became a church in 1956.
In the ‘30s Wilfrid Menard moved into the village with Menard Construction (now Cruickshank) and Jos Vaillancourt built a large feed mill near the CPR tracks which later burned in December 1966.
There are outdoor Masses throughout the summer, and Calvary is open and you are welcome to go and visit. There is no charge and it is a lovely place to sit and meditate on Christ’s Passion.
The first Green Valley Pavilion, built in 1938, was later transformed into a French Catholic church, then to apartments. The building is now gone and is a business lot.