Where those names originated
Ever wonder how Glengarry communities got their names? Here are the origins of some local places. Athol: It was probably named after the original village in Scotland. Athol was a busy centre from 1850-70. The public school was featured in Glengarry School Days by author Ralph Connor. A replica of the school could be seen at Upper Canada Village.
Apple Hill: A Canadian Pacific Railway train ran through an apple orchard owned by Sandy Kennedy. It was once known as “Caravan’s Corners.”
Bainsville: First known as Bain’s Field, which is said to have been named after a McBain. There was a railway that went through the area in 1855.
Breadalbane: Named after a Breadalbane town in Loch Tay region of Perthshire. It was settled by Scottish pioneers from the area prior to 1816, which was when the first Baptist church was opened.
Brodie: named for John Brodie, the only Covenanter among the group that settled there in about 1815 and founded a church for the religion. A covenanter was part of a Scottish Presbyterian movement whose members signed a contract, and by doing so promised to keep their religion from being changed by outside innovations. An early settler of Brodie, William Jamieson, invented a stoning machine to help farmers remove large boulders from their fields, one of which can be viewed in the GlengarryPioneer Museum’s collection.
Dominionville: The original village started at Notfield. There were two picnics held in the village to celebrate Confederation of 1867, and the name was chosen in honor of the New Dominion of Canada.
Dunvegan: From Dunvegan on the Isle of Skye in Skye, Scotland. The name is believed to mean “little fort” in Gaelic, but may have a Norse (Norwegian language) origin. The Kenyon Village dates from 1804, the local post office opened in 1862.
Fassifern: Fassifern, Scotland was originally populated by a large number of clan Cameron. When many Cameron members came to Canada, they decided to honour their native village by naming it Fassifern. In Scotland, the village was formerly home to Dr. Archibald Cameron, a clan hero, executed in 1745.
Fiske’s Corners: Called so because a Hughie MacMillan nicknamed Fiske had a store here. Many other rural hamlets around the area also got their names from people or their nicknames. The hamlet also had a cheese factory and blacksmith shop.
Glen Sandfield: Glengarry native John Sandfield MacDonald was the First Premier of Ontario. He was responsible for both the creation of the University of Toronto and the settlement of many southern Ontario counties by giving out extremely cheap land grants to European settlers. The word ‘Glen’ is Gaelic, meaning a stream shaped in a distinctive glacial U.