Angels who wear blue, white and sage
During National Volunteer Week, the Cornwall Hospital recognized its Auxiliary Members, Spiritual Care Providers, and many others who volunteer throughout the hospital at an Appreciation Luncheon.
Hospital Auxiliaries started in the mid-1800s with the first created in St. Catharine’s in 1865. They were originally intended to fundraise for hospitals but as their membership grew, so did their tasks. In the early 1960s, volunteers (often called candy-stripers because of their white and red stripped uniforms) helped nurses with non-clinical work like changing linens and retrieving paper documents.
Today, wearing blue, white and sage vests, volunteers are a common sight in the hospital and they can be found providing information and directions, working in the gift shop, providing spiritual care support or help- ing patients with their meal trays.
“Our volunteers donate their invaluable time to help us provide exceptional care for our patients and their families,” points out Jeanette Despatie, President and CEO. “We are so very grateful for their contributions; last year alone they contributed close to 20,000 hours and the Cornwall Auxiliary raised $80,000 in support of hospital equipment. What an exceptional impact!”
This year’s lunch included recognition for several long serving volunteers some with decades of service to the hospital and its community.
5 Years of Service: Aaron Bell, Wayne Gratton, Lynda Henrikso, Jan Ingram, Eileen Manson, Claude Thibault, Adrienne Toews;
10 Years of Service: Rev. Andrea Harrison, Roger Lehoux, Audrey Moores, Philip Pilon, Sylvia Richer, Ardel Smith;
15 Years of Service: Madeleine Forgues, Lorna Grant, Brian MacDonald and John Reid;
20 Years of Service: Denise Dickie and Deacon Maurice Poirier;
25 Years of Service: Joan Poapst.