CHURCH FIRE: This Glengarry County Archives photo shows Glen Robertson's St. Martin of Tours Church being gutted by fire in early June 1954. The flames were visible for many miles and despite a four-hour struggle by the volunteer fire brigade, the place of worship was razed. Curiously, the Alexandria fire brigade did not respond due to standing orders not to leave town without authority (which was absent at the time). Noticeable in the foreground is Hope's taxi, which took the photographer, Gordon Reid, to the scene, notes County Archivist Allan MacDonald. More photos can be seen on the Archives Facebook page.