Clear­ing the air over fuel re­bate

The Glengarry News - - Classified­s -

With a new fed­eral fuel sur­charge, farm­ers in On­tario are el­i­gi­ble for an ex­emp­tion on fu­els used for farm­ing prac­tices, but the de­tails have cre­ated some con­fu­sion among On­tario’s agri­cul­ture in­dus­try.

The On­tario Fed­er­a­tion of Agri­cul­ture (OFA) is work­ing to clar­ify the de­tails around how farm­ers can qual­ify for the ex­emp­tion.

Three ar­eas of the new fuel sur­charge have cre­ated con­fu­sion – what fu­els are ex­empt from the new fee, how do farm­ers qual­ify for the ex­emp­tion and where to go for more in­for­ma­tion?

To qual­ify for the ex­emp­tion, farm­ers must com­plete a Fuel Charge Ex­emp­tion Cer­tifi­cate for Farm­ers (Form L402) – a form avail­able from the Canada Rev­enue Agency web­site. For more in­for­ma­tion on com­plet­ing this form, OFA sug­gests that farm­ers talk to their fuel sup­pli­ers or call Ser­vice Canada.

OFA rec­om­mends all farm­ers keep dili­gent records of all fuel pur­chases, whether or not they are el­i­gi­ble for the sur­charge ex­emp­tion.

The fed­er­a­tion sug­gests that farm­ers keep de­tailed mileage logs on all ve­hi­cles. These records will help you track any fuel used out­side of farm­ing ac­tiv­i­ties – that is not el­i­gi­ble for the ex­emp­tion. These records will also as­sist with farm tax fil­ing and if the farm taxes are ever au­dited.

For de­tails, visit­sources, con­tact your OFA Mem­ber Ser­vice Rep­re­sen­ta­tive (MSR), visit the Canada Rev­enue Agency web­site or talk to your lo­cal fuel provider.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.