A Maxville home built in 1890 has been designated a heritage site by North Glengarry Township.
The house at 67 Carr St. East in Maxville has been added to the municipal register as a property of cultural heritage value and interest. The status was recommended by the township’s arts, culture and heritage committee. The designation means that the owners, Anne and Kevin Gwilliam, can apply for funding under the municipality’s Community Improvement Plan, however, listing the property on the municipal register does not guarantee approval under the CIP.
“There is an oral account that this was possibly the residence of the first mayor in Maxville,” Anne Leduc, director of community services, has informed council. A.D. MacRae became the first reeve of the village in 1892. The building is a late Victorian two-storey home that was originally clad in red brick, but is now covered with horizontal, off-white siding.